Sunday, November 9, 2014

the City and the loitering guides =P

When we landed in the airport.. being my typical self.. I haven't exactly figured out where to go. I have confirmed a pick up service from the hotel I'll be staying at but there were no further instructions on where should I be waiting for the service. So I did try to wander and ask around.


The airport area was busy, swarmed with people - tourists and locals - and was really warm. I was about to head out to the information desk when people approached and ask which hotel did I have reservations to. They were guiding other tourists around too and helping out with the directions. I was complacent at first to accept the offer help but then why not. The guy, who I forgot the name (sorry!), was really nice in helping me find the hotel. We walked a bit around the city...



And was planning to tour a bit before going directly to my hotel but then he needed to stopped over a friend's souvenir shop.


I have read about this souvenir shops in the main city that sort of lures you to pick anything you like and then priced it with a lot more than what it's worth. Well, it's true!!! Then they'll try to negotiate with you with a "discounted" price but still, it's still way too expensive. It happened to me. It was a real held up when shopping souvenirs for a few friends and family. I tried to ask for the price of each item but the store owner kept saying it's really cheap and that we can talk about the price after I am done selecting. Guess what! After all the troubles, my spree was totaled around USD 2,000 for a few pieces. I almost ran out of the shop when he said it, except that my suitcase was with my guide. So instead, I tried to talk my way out of it. My gosh! so goodbye city tour since it's too late to make that walk anymore and I wanted to be settled in my room before dark. We found the restaurant but still we need a boat ride to Villingili island where the hotel is located.



We walked towards the dock and bought tickets along with the other locals that are about to go home in Villingili island. During the boat ride I chanced to speak with the women seated beside me and since most of the people knew how to speak English it was not a challenge to communicate with the locals. The woman explained to me that most of them are working and studying in the city and at the end of the day are still traveling back to their home to the next island when some stayed in the city, some chose to travel home. Not quite different from my home as well.

My guide and I arrived in the island at around 6:30 pm. The sun had already set and it's getting darker by the minute. Although I am in a different country with a different culture, tradition and religion from mine, I felt relatively safe. We are walking among the people of this small community in the island and they don't stare at you, rather they look at you, smile shyly and say hello. And just like that, people are really nice. 

It was a short walk to the hotel, but at the time I am already exhausted, smelly from sweating the whole day and nursing a couple of mosquito bites. 



But thank goodness I am safe and lucky enough to make it taking chances in trusting a stranger. Done with checking in with the family, had my dinner, took a shower.. Now, finally.. time for bed! Can't wait to walk around the island tomorrow and check out what else can I do with my last 2 days.



Exhausted but lucky,
♥A

No comments:

Post a Comment