Friday, June 7, 2013

MVC outreach event 2013

Trying to be active and sociable I signed up to join MVC's outreach event this year. It was a scary thought since I don't know anybody in the group and I am so thankful for Mossy whom I've known only through exchange of emails regarding the activities and schedule.

I am trying to learn the backpacking ways this time and arrived in the bus terminal a little early. When Mossy arrived with a couple of people with him, I was a bit shy to approach. My first impression of him? One of those straightforward kind of the third sex. And just when he started talking to me I like him already, sociable, friendly but talks straight to the point. He introduced me with most of the people in our group. Some with Mossy, I'll got stuck with until Saturday. Now I'm excited!

The schedule entailed the night bus ride to Baguio at 11 pm on June 6, Thursday arriving at around 5 or 6 in the morning in Baguio. Then a couple of hours ride again to Benguet where we headed to Kapangan Town Hall for breakfast prepared by the locals. The meal was so generous and delicious too bad I don't eat a lot of vegetables I was stuck with chicken and rice. =P

fresh air, warm sun... all greens! 

Mossy posing his red umbrella while some of us do some toilet breaks
and I get to use my running shoes.. for more than a second time now! lol


MVC people


The activity schedule was altered a bit. The original plan was to hold the event simultaneously given that we were divided in two groups but one of the leading people aside from Mossy strongly suggested that we might as well visit both sites together.

It was a bit of a struggle for us who were not used to trekking and did I mention that the other group was the mountaineering sort of club! 



It was more than 30 minutes of walking the trail and climbing the stairs up where the school was located. It was warm and we're now exhausted from walking and the long bus ride from the city as well. And once we arrived on top... 


They prepared lunch for us. The people are warm and the kids are running around since their classes were interrupted today by our arrival. We then prepared for the distribution of school supplies for each kid after eating lunch.
Juvy, Kai, Mossy, Onin

Jing
 The school prepared a mini program for us. It was really nice and touching, the kids even prepared a dance number for us. I've recorded a bit of it, click link below.

snapshot of the dance presentation
After the program, we headed on our way to the other school. It was late in the afternoon and rain is threatening to fall. We felt bad that the kids on the other school was stuck waiting for us and this was one of the that infuriated Mossy aside from the fact that we trek and the schedule was changed.





Arriving in Sagubo Elementary school we were already exhausted and the poor kids were still there waiting. Now I felt bad about it because they also prepared some food for us and a mini program too. The food we won't be able to eat anymore but they were kind to wrap some of the Camote fries for us to take on our way back to Baguio City while the kids, we just assist them to fall in line for the distribution of the school supplies.







And in our case this ends our day but for the other group, they'll be staying the night in the school and will be climbing early next morning.. 

Now heading to Hale Opua where we had reservations.

Truly an exhausting day and I want a shower soooo badly... 

No comments:

Post a Comment